Sunday, September 04, 2005

Wuthering, wuthering, wuthering heights... It's me

Been a lovely day today.

Was warm and sunny so we decided to take advantage of that and go and see some of the sites that this little isle of ours has to offer. Going site seeing is the kind of thing that feels disturbingly middle-aged when you're just a couple in your late twenties or early thirties. Luckily w2b being foreign and our best friends here actually being middle-aged gives us plenty of excuse.

So off we toddled: me, w2b, sid and our friends. Off over the border into England (hehehe, those of you not reading from overseas will understand that this isn't exactly a border crossing with passports and guards wearing ray-bans), over the pennines into the strange world that is Yorkshire. Down through the mill towns into the village of Haworth - or as it seems to be becoming - Brontelandtm.

Now, I've never been much of a Bronte fan. So the house where they lived was slightly lost on me. But I'm always one for pottering around, old man style. Getting fish and chips. Looking through shops selling tat. Ooohing and furniture that we can't afford, let along find a place for in the house. Trawling through old bookshops wondering which cool smelling book to buy (or is it just me that likes the smell of old books?).

After wandering through the high street a couple of times and starting the flag in the humidity (or maybe just being unaccustomed to going up hills on foot) we decided to gorge ourselves on cream teas. If you're not acquainted with the cream tea it's a particularly healthy blend of heavy scone, sticky jam and rich cream. We didn't walk very far after that.

To top off the tourist thing we then went off to the moors for a bit of a picnic. With a wicker picnic basket and everything! If I can figure out how FlickR works I may even treat you to a view of the moors in the hazy sunshine (yes, we finally tracked down a cable. Seems we were looking for the wrong one all along. Good to see my University education in computers, not to mention my eight years working in IT, coming in to full effect).

So now we're back at the building site. We've got that nice Sunday evening feeling of fresh-air-tiredness and slightly over full (did I mention that we got fudge too?).

Sid enjoyed the trip but was a bit disappointed by the toilet facilities - we're not very good at providing for tourists in this country.

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff