Wednesday, September 07, 2005

She's just a devil woman!

God w2b is scary.

I've just witnessed my fiance calmly and with incredible self assurance destroying our useless electricians. I've never in my life seen two grown men cower like children before the head mistress like that. Bear in mind that one of the electricians is a young, healthy guy around six foot and we have personally witnessed the other carrying an ancient oven out of the kitchen single handed. W2b on the other hand is around five foot four and deceptively feminine.

Maybe its a South African thing. Maybe we British are just not used to a nation populated by people whose sole response to any kind of frustration is not to tut and whisper how disappointed they are with the service. Maybe with the difficult recent history that South Africa has had, coupled with the difficulties of having a whole multitude of national languages their people are used to making their present felt. Maybe the slightly skewed view that blinkered non-South Africans have of that country means that they expect to have a gun pulled on them at any moment. I don't know. But boy is it impressive and - it would seem so far - effective.

My role in the whole thing was pretty negligible. I had an excuse, as I was emptying the rather fragrant chemical toilet from the caravan (cheers Sid). Even if I didn't though, I wouldn't have wanted to deprive w2b of her fun. She's been looking forward to this for a while now.

Over the next few days, as the opportunity presents itself I will be furthering the misconceptions that our now timid electricians have of South Africans. They will be subtly subjected to (wholly fictional) stories of w2b's experiences in her home country. Tackling workers at knife point. Bypassing the legal system to retrieve money she's been owed. Hell, I might even hint that she keeps weapons in the caravan and is not afraid to use them.

All in all, what with the bathroom now being finished and England hopefully about to demolish Northern Ireland in the football and Australia in the cricket, quite a satisfying end to the day.

Just as an addendum to yesterday's rant I was sent this link as an illustration of the kind of subtle bigotry that Katrina has uncovered:

http://www.wonkette.com/politics/ap/index.php#123124

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff