Sunday, September 11, 2005

Change of tack

I was gonna write a big soul searching ramble today about my tendency to worry over things that don't need worrying about.

However, after a bitty, pottering sort of day we've just watched "A Life Less Ordinary". Its such a strangely uplifting, silly, easy film that my ramble no longer seems appropriate. It was the first time that w2b had seen it and she got it. So many people dislike the film - probably because its such a change from "Trainspotting". But I've always liked it and its great to see it with someone who's opinion really matters and for them to like it too.

There's something brave about a film that's clever, with self-aware dialogue and unconventional characters and yet that has at its heart an optimistic message about love. Its kind of like "True Romance-lite".

Watching it now, with someone I love made it an even more pleasurable experience. Being able to enjoy the cleverness as well as the sentiment made it feel like I was enjoying it on all levels.

W2b has changed my view of the world so much - or maybe she's just allowed me to acknowledge the things I didn't want to admit before. It's nice to have the permission to be the hopeless romantic that I wanted to be. It's fantastic to watch a film that has as its central theme the idea of fate bringing people together and to actually believe it.

I'm sure you're all feeling nauseous now. I make no apologies.

Even Sid is feeling all relaxed and non-itchy. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff