Thursday, September 08, 2005

Its my party...

Am I the only (potential) groom in the world not to want a stag party?

I've had to explain to my best man (a really nice guy who epitomises the phrase) that I don't want to have one. Its a tough sell. After all, who wouldn't want to get together with the guys, be the centre of attention and have a laugh with them in some City?

Well me, to be honest.

Its not just that I'm not into that kind of thing (I haven't been much of a drinker for a while now). It just seems a bit of an artificial thing to do.

Since I left University, most of my friends have been female - the only male ones are the good friends I've kept from University and from home before that. I've grown accustomed to a quieter way of living and I like it. W2b and I have a very nice life here which I wouldn't change for the world. The days of drinking till I'm stupid with the lads are well behind me - if they were ever there. People who know me, know this. I think, though that what they don't seem to understand is that I don't miss those days. I am incredibly happy and there is nothing, nothing at all that I have ever had in my life that I miss.

To me, a stag party is mainly a celebration of and a farewell to all those things that you're giving up when you get married. But my life is already pretty much what it will be when I'm married and I like it that way. I'd be faking it if I tried to pretend it was any other way.

The only other purpose that a stag party can serve is a chance for friends to get together and toast your future happiness, without the formality and stress that will be there on the wedding day. To me that would be so much better if it was a party that both w2b and I could enjoy together. Especially as we live quite far from most of my old friends (so not many chances to get together before the wedding) and because so few of my friends will be able to make it to the wedding in SA.

So I *gasp for breath* am putting my foot down.

No stag party.
Party at our house for friends of both of us (assuming its kind of finished by then).

Look forward to the fallout - given the way wedding planning seems to go, sure there'll be some arguments.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sid update: all fine and dandy, although not happy about the football - and believe me, he knows a thing or too about crap.

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff