Tuesday, September 20, 2005

God, she can rant...

The backstory will continue shortly. Just wanted to give you a little window into the psyche of w2b. Now I may have said this before, but she's a very... forthright person. Another way of saying it is that she's very opinionated. Yet another way would be to say that she's goddamn scary.

Yesterday was one of those days when she was angry at the world.

First it was her work colleagues. Then it was her boss. Then it was the embryonic plans for the company.

Lastly, believe it or not it was the British attitude to light switches. We were in our almost finished bathroom cleaning our teeth by gas light when she turned to a cable hanging from the ceiling...

w2b: "What's that?"
mms: "What's what?"
w2b: "That cable, what's that?"
mms: "Its for the light switch."
w2b: "Why've they not plastered it in like the others?"
mms: "Its a pull switch."
w2b: "A pull switch?"
mms: "Yeah, for a cord to hang from the ceiling."
w2b: "Why?"
mms: "Why what?"
w2b: "We didn't ask for a cord, why isn't it a flicky switch?"
mms: "All bathrooms have cords."
w2b: "Why?"
mms: "I think its so you don't electrocute yourself."
w2b: "Thats stupid."
mms: "I think its cos if you touch a flicky switch with wet hands you could cause a circuit and electrocute yourself... in theory."
w2b: "Thats stupid. I'd prefer a flicky switch."
mms: "I think its probably building regs or something."
w2b: "Thats stupid."
mms: "Well..."
w2b: "I bet no-one's ever been electrocuted by flicking a light switch."
mms: "Ermmmm..."
w2b: "In South Africa all bathrooms have flicky switches."
mms: "Well they don't here."
w2b: "Thats so crap. There's something wrong with the British psyche."
mms: "What?"
w2b: "I think its genetic."
mms: "Eh?"
w2b: "You all used to warriors. Its all been lost in the genes."
mms: "Can we go to bed please?"

Now don't get me wrong. W2b has been a great influence on me. She's helped me overcome my natural English reticence and stand up for myself a bit more. But you have to draw the line somewhere.

Sometimes she's just insane.

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff