Wednesday, September 21, 2005

W2b kicks ass

She finally blew today.

We popped back to the building site (home) at lunch and lo and behold there were workmen there. Yes, real live workmen in the flesh. One of them was the electrician's sidekick. This was an opportunity not to be missed...

W2b saw him on the stairs putting plasterboard up and asked when second fix would be done. His answer was his usual feckless shrug of the shoulders as he said it wouldn't be done for a while yet - there were loads of other things that needed to be done first. Bear in mind that the electrics should have been completely finished by the end of last week. W2b was not happy and set about verbally destroying him. I went outside to talk to the builder in charge.

To give her credit, she did bring him outside so that he didn't need to be embarrassed in front of his little chums. So as I was talking to the builder (more rambling chat about various different subjects, including his bad back - boy can that guy talk) with one ear out for the tongue lashing that w2b was giving the sidekick. But it didn't stop there. The builder didn't escape entirely scott free as one of the sidekick's excuses for not finishing was that the builder hadn't finished his side of things.

I played good cop a little, keeping the builder on our side. While doing this we left him in no doubt that the more people let us down (obviously emphasizing that we were just talking about the electrician at the moment... obviously) the less money they would get. While we were doing this, he proceeded to talk about how unhappy he was about how the electrician had left us. I don't think it was lost on anyone that he was also creating a rod for his own back - he couldn't let us down now either.

So we went back to work. Still slightly fuming and frustrated but at least having said our piece. At least we'd seen the "workers" face to face for once.

We returned to signs of progress. Sorry, didn't give that the emphasis it deserved:

We've had some work done on our house!!

Now this may be a false dawn, but we've got new ceilings and plastering and a lintel and everything. I think I might cry.


Back in the world of Crohn's, I've had some very nice responses so far to my story. Rest assured poo fans that this will be completed in due course.

I'm keen to get it finished for a couple of reasons. One is that it was never really my intention to make this a Crohn's diary, I had originally hoped that my story would gradually reveal itself over the course of the blog. The other is that I'm very concerned to not give the wrong impression about my disease. It in no way defines who I am and it has become a very small part of life. All it is now is something that has informed the person that I am now.

My only intentions in telling the story is to provide a bit of background for some of the things I might want to talk about in the future and to hopefully (and only as a bi-product) provide a little hope to people going through similar things and show that in my case the dark days ended and things are very good now.

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff