Sunday, August 28, 2005

Grey, Grey, Grey

Its Grey!

I don't think that anyone who lives outside the UK can quite understand how grey it can get here. There's a hazy glare cast by the sky that is at the same time dull, throwing everything into shadow whilst being bright enough to cause you to squint and leaving you with that feeling of being on the verge of a headache. I think REM describe it as "headache grey".

I'm sitting in the "tv room" of our crumbling, part renovated house. At least its going to be a tv room (surround sound, big tv, comfy sofa, loving couple snuggled together wiling the Sunday away watching cheesy movies and eating junk) but at the moment it consists of four camp chairs, exposed wiring, part stripped walls, rubble... I could go on - like I said "part renovated". We do have a tv... and broadband... and one electrical socket. Its a sign of the times when these seem to constitute the essentials over such luxuries as a working kitchen and central heating. Christ, we only got a bath yesterday.

The family are around me. W2b is watching endless Madonna videos on E4. Gamba (incredibly cute but incredibly needy jack Russell) is doing his best to force her off the chair. Zulu (larger, dumber but slightly more eager to please brother of Gamba) is sleeping beside me on another chair.

For once, this isn't just us being unable to summon any inclination on a Sunday morning. We're actually waiting for the builders to arrive. Then its off to try and do something with my parents. I don't mean that in a "Oh my God, what am I gonna do with my parents?!?" way. I just mean that they've made the journey over to see us for the weekend and they've arrived at a house that is a disaster area. So we have to think of something we can do with them that will show that we're happy they're here without them having to ensure the chaos that our life is at the moment.

Sid's doing fine, thanks for asking. He's comfortable enough, but is starting to itch a little so will need changing soon.

I'll be sure to update you on the exciting stuff we'll no doubt be getting up to today.

No comments:

Stuff

My ugly mug and my beautiful family Geek Stuff